The “Pôle Alpin d’études et de recherche pour la prévention des Risques Naturels (PARN)”
Alpine Network of Natural Hazards and Risks Prevention
The PARN association (non-profit organization law 1901) gathers 9 member organizations among research centers and universities of the Rhône-Alpes region that have an activity of study and research on natural hazards.
The association was created in 1988 as one of the recommendations of the “Isère Département Pilote” operation in the field of natural and technological risks: to make an effort in the field of research to develop more effective and less expensive methods.
The cluster has been created with the following objectives:
- Bring together organizations with an activity of study and research in the field of natural hazards in order to develop coordinated research programs and so remedy the fragmentation of efforts in this area
- Develop efficient scientific and technical tools and make them available to public authorities and operational services to improve the prediction and prevention of natural hazards.
In all, nearly 170 people (80 researchers or teacher-researchers, 50 engineers and technicians and 40 PhD students) are i working in the field of natural hazards.
Fields of expertise
They are the natural hazards with a significant part concerning the risks on mountainous territories:
- Snow avalanches
- Torrential erosion and Debris flows
- Seismic Hazards
- Glacial Hazards
The PARN also intervenes on transverse working axes:
- Impacts of climate change
- Territorial resilience
- Socioeconomic approaches of natural hazards
- Risk governance
Various aspects of the researches conducted
- Better understand the phenomena (origin, mechanisms, distribution) but also their effects on the settlements and the people and more generally on the society with an emerging social sciences dimension
- Improve the forecast of these rough events to alert the populations concerned in due course
- Define the most effective measures to be implemented regarding prevention (mapping and zoning of the risks) and of protection (works); optimize the costs of these works.
Services of the PARN
Assistance to the scientific and partenerial project assembly of, as well as to project valorization
- Upstream to project calls, the PARN is at the disposal of research teams for helping them in editing projects in direction of various European programs presented (Science-Decision Action portal).
- Downstream of the projects, the PARN can relieve and value the scientific results of projects and their partners.
The PARN has internal skills to which you can appeal in the form of service. Its support will enrich and strengthen the strategic and multidisciplinary character of your projects. It will also accentuate the transfer of results, via dedicated and adapted initiatives (cf. support for the risk management activities).
The PARN is an actor recognized for the development of research actions and results. As such it proposes diverse working modalities to improve to carry him in knowledge with the target publics :
- Writing of consumer documents stemming from scientific results ;
- Publications of synthetic documents and distribution within the scientific, technical and/or institutional network ;
- Organization of events to carry in knowledge ;
- According to needs, the PARN can also produce specific states of the art
The PARN puts feeds and updates various portals(gates) and thematic and problematic bases :
- The portal Alpes-Climat-Risques, the knowledge base of the impacts of the climate change in the Alpine Bow. Kept up to date annually by the PARN it includes not only an inventory of the bibliographical references (alphabetical and thematic) but also an analysis and thematic compilation of the knowledge as well as the thematic syntheses, built with groups of experts and gradually updated : http://www.risknat/alpes-climat-risques/
- The portal of capitalization GIRN-Alps (Integrated Natural Hazards Management in the French Alps) details actions carried out by various experimental sites, lists the documentary resources and ready for delivery stemming from these actions), and proposes assessments and strategic analyses : http://www.risknat.org/girn-alpes/
- The Natural Hazards Projects Database capitalizes the results of research projects on the natural hazards in mountain regions stemming from departmental, regional, national and European programs (essentially those involving the Region Rhône-Alpes). A search engine allows to reach synthetic index cards, detailed index cards as well as in every ready for delivery associated to the projects : http://www.risknat.org/baseprojets/